Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Future Shop Extended Warranty

So is it worth it? That's a good question, I've only ever bought it on two items - the first being a printer that I was using when I was contracting, the second on our 40" LCD (I still drool over the thought of it). So why do I question it's value?

Well, this morning I called Future Shop because we have a pixel that is shot, since pretty close to day one. What does Future Shop say? Well it's still under the Sony warranty - ok fine, please fix it - you have to call Sony. Ok, so I call Sony and say my TV has a dead pixel - Sony says you have 2 million pixels - we wont' fix one dead pixel - I say that's fine but it's Bright Green not black - Sony says ok, but you have to call Westpeak Electronics! Ok, so I call Westpeak Electronics, get the one lady at the shop who hasn't had her coffee this morning (or I think for the last week) and she says we'll send a guy tomorrow - we'll call you tomorrow to let you know when he's coming.

Ok, so why is Future Shop Extended, In Home Warranty worth it? Well, for one, to keep me happy (or make me happy as I have not typically had a good relationship with Future Shop) they could've arranged all this crap for me. They already probably know who is the repair shop that I'm going too, so take my information (which is on file, even though I didn't buy it at Northlands Edmonton) and route it through Sony to the Westpeak electronics. Is that hard? Nope - it's straight forward, and considering in Canada we only have a few really big electornics realtors (two of which is the same company) it should be really easy to implement. Sure it'll cost a few bucks, but you may not have to advertise as hard to get me to come back next time. And then everyone might just be a bit happier (including me). Service is becoming the most important thing now, not just price so these companies might want to pay attention to that. The shareholders are not the ones who are buying the majority of products, and keeping your company afloat, so it might be a good idea to consider someone besides just them.

But that's enough of my ranting - all I know is that I don't want to have to wait 6 weeks for it to be fixed and have no TV. I don't watch a lot, but if I don't get my Avatar before bed, I do get grumpy.

-E

1 comment:

Crilix said...

HAH! Have you been introduced to the crack that is Avatar? Good stuff, eh?

As for Futureshop, they were better with warranties about ~5 years ago. Back then if you had issues and you bought an extended warrantee, you brought it to them and they took care of it. Now, you have to go through the manufacturer first. I suppose it *may* still be worth it for some large items, but for my new $250 iPod, $100 for a single year of coverage it isn't worth it. For that much you can probably pay through Apple to have the work done.
-Cril