Wednesday, July 21, 2010

On My Own...

I'm on my own again, taking a much needed break before heading back to school in the fall. I put my everything into what I do, and sometimes that unfortunately leads to burnout. Big time burnout.

I've been finding it hard to sit in front of the computer, to concentrate and focus on the things I need to get done, fortunately everyone has been pretty understanding so far, and slowly I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's hard when you work so hard and feel totally under-appreciated. I'm not someone who can put half in, I put all or nothing, and since I can't put my all in anymore, I had to switch to nothing for awhile.

My only solace (or consolation, or last kick in the ass) is that my old job will be replaced by someone who will be paid at very least more than me, to maybe even 33% more. And I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that they won't be able to replace me, at least not in that price bracket. I've really got to learn to quit before it gets too late, I guess my loyalty and dedication can be both an asset and a critical flaw.

So now, I try and focus on life again, getting things in order, and going out to kick some ass. I know I can do it, I just got to get my feet under me. Fortunately I have a wife who is not only loving even though she can't always understand the stupid things I do, she will stick by me no matter what, even when I'm a horrible PITA. And that extends to a family who is always behind me, supporting us, and not saying I told you so when I didn't move on earlier.

All in all I think it'll be positive, I just need to get my focus and concentration back, and soon I'll be on top, ever better than before.

-E

4 comments:

Crilix said...

They'd have a tough time replacing you for 50% or even 100% more. It's not just the fact you were the programmer, but you were a bajillion other things as well. Really, what DIDN'T you do? You were in some way involved with accounting, shipping, marketing, IT, construction. Hell, you were the next person after the boss as the person with the most knowledge about whatever it is we sell. There is no frickin' way they can replace you with someone else for any salary, short of hiring three other guys to fill in the gap. You were closer to being 2nd in command than being 'the web guy'.

So just look at it this way - you'll be an incredibly valuable and flexible asset to whatever team you decide to dedicate yourself to in the future. One that'll appreciate 100% of what you do, and won't make you fight with a label printer.
-Cril

Eric said...

Thank goodness for no more label printers.
-E

brutus1975 said...

It's not the weight of the world that drags a man down.

Sometimes you feel like atlas holding the world on your shoulders, and when you arrive at the other side, its the comfort and praise that keeps us going.

To be without it, can make one feel very alone.

Remember through it all who was around, and who did bring joy, for they are truly the friends and family, that should and do matter the most.

They are the ones that in return we stand beside and help them hold the world above their shoulders, which gives us content and joy.

Stand tall and proud - don't worry about the world. Go kick some ass and chew some gum!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NimgvwDO2CI

Kirstin said...

We love you, Eric. :)

And we're so happy about this transition in your life. No one should be misused like that, least of all someone as talented as you.